[Coco] off-topic, space program

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Jan 15 03:42:46 EST 2004

At 03:05 AM 1/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:

> >If the Chinese start to beat us in space will the motivation to go
> >back increase?

The Chinese will never do that.  In fact, I'm sure the U.S. will do
anything it can to remain #1 in this area.

I just wish I would have been born in the future at the day and time we
choose to colonize the moon and put humans there to dwell, and the day
where one can look up in the sky and see city lights on the moon at
night.  We all know that day is in the future, we just can't say this to
the average person who doesn't yet know that the term sci-fi has always
been real, or to those who are unaware of what is possible and what we can
and will do.

No, I get to live in the small timeframe where when I was 1 year old, my
mother watched 2 men step onto the moon while the entire globe sat in awe
in front of their radios and televisions...  a timeframe where when I'm 51,
we *might* get to do it again, if Bush's plan works out.  And when I'm 61,
NASA would have possibily figured out if it's safe enough to blast off
towards Mars with a few people who will set foot on the surface.  This
irritates me to the fullest. :)  I say, build this dern exploration
vehicle, and shape it like something from Star Trek :), put a bunch of
people on it, 2 of every animal :), plenty of beer, and get out there and
explore.  Just watching them do this would be the most-watched "tv show" in
the history of the Earth.