[Coco] off-topic, space program

John Donaldson jadonaldson at charter.net
Wed Jan 14 19:39:03 EST 2004

  Well from a old NASA dinosaur, who worked on the APOLLO MOON missions,
I remember when JFK said we should go to the moon. People said how could
we, when we had a war going on and poverty, and civil rights and we
should spend the money here. Also the polls were 50/50 on
going to the moon.
    Also people forget that the grandfather of all desktop computers
came from the Moon
missions. Since the Apollo would be out of reach of earth, a computized
nav system was needed.
The first real all digital desktop size computer was born. Also many
things we take for granted today came out of the Apollo and earlier
missions. Besides, NASA created thousand of jobs and technolgy jumped
thousands of percent.
   We will not do a mission like we did Apollo, too costly, too long to
remake hardware. Use the
shuttle or similar to get cargo and people to low orbit. Transfer to a
Earth-Luna transfer vechile,
it will go from earth orbit to moon orbit only. Then cargo and people
transfer to a lander.

   Just my two cents worth.

John Donaldson