[Coco] ROMPak transfer to disk with cart2ram?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 13 05:13:13 EST 2004

>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:57:07 -0500
>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
>The flow should be 1) compile TransferA and save, compile TransferB and
>save; 2) use TransferA to copy ROM pak and save ROM pak. Then to play
>the pak the flow should be 1) loadm pak copy; 2) loadm TransferB and
>move pak to normal location; 3) run pak.

OK, yeah.  I missed steps 2 & 3.

>Obviously not all paks will be happy with this or like a Coco3.

The pak itself runs fine.  It's just the last working ROMPak I've got
that I haven't transfered to disk.  It's not like I ever play it or
anything.  I'm just a completist.

>If the pak contains a copy protection scheme, it will need to be
>patched. That will best be done before it is saved to disk. Any patch
>location used on the original ROM pak will need to be offset just as
>the pak was during copy.

And since Neil's list of patches didn't say where the ROMpak was
loaded into before patching...

>It looks like TransferA may need to be modified to reset $FF23 to its
>original state. Since I provided source code, a simple modification of
>the program to save the original state of $FF23 and restore it should be
>trivial.

(looks up what's at $FF23.) Oh, the cartridge interrupt flag.  Yeah,
that probably needs to be saved and restored.

>I don't know if the use of RESET will be detrimental. The code as posted
>did work for me but is certainly not written in stone. Modify it if needed.

I'm still kinda confused, but that's partially because it's 3 AM.
I'll add in the code for $FF23 and see if that helps.  I'm getting
very strange results right now, and I can't tell if I'm doing
something wrong or it's just copy protection biting me.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko