[Coco] The silent night

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 20:26:44 EST 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 18:15, Neil Morrison wrote:
>My 28" RCA is from the time when they saved a buck by putting rivets
>though the board instead of PTH. Great, if the bastards knew how to
>solder steel to copper. RCA QC sucks big time.

Agreed.  When I was doing consumer service many years ago, I hated to
see one of them come in the door becaise you could never, ever get
those rivets to take solder properly due to the phenolic outgassing
and blowing your solder away.

>Still, it's only the tuner. I have two video in channels so I watch
>via a VCR.
>
>Talking of dumps, I still keep an eye out for that classic TV set
>that had the gimbal mounted tube in the metal shield that stood on
>top of a narrow tower containing the works. Don't know the model,
> but you often see them used as decorations on shows.
>
>Neil

Thats a Philco.  One caveat on those.  If you ever do find one, don't
ever put any fingerprints on the deflection yoke, handle it with
fresh cotton gloves else the fingerprints will lead to a burnup.
They also ran hot, and a quiet muffin fan in the back would help a
lot.  Finding suitable tubes for it today can be quite an exersize.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,