[Coco] The silient night

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 17:30:11 EST 2004

From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

>> I needed to get a tv transmitter on the air. :)

>Ah yes. Do anything, but ENTERTAIN me!
>
>Have you heard of the expression, "As long as it moves"? It's used
> by receiver repair techs who are amazed by what lousy results
> people will put up with as long as the image moves. 4" high,
> massive foldover, one or more colors gone; "As long as it moves"!
>
>Neil

Yup, we do our best to give them a quality product, then they watch it
on a 1974 Motorola Quasar.  I know where there is one of them that
hasn't been touched since it came out of the box and it still looks
pretty decent.  Original crt, the whole works.  A wee bit of red
bleed, but thats it!

I've also seen many of them in the landfill too.

'Nother story.  When I first moved to WV, and the marriage fell apart
shortly after, one of my first buys as a new bachelor was a 13"
monkey ward tv.  I've had to solder the legs of the vertical output
transistor where thermal cycleing broke the original joint, that was
maybe 12 years ago now.  The remote is pretty well trashed so
changing channels is a chore, and none of the so-called universal
remotes will even tickle it.   Different frequency or something.  But
the tv is as bright and sharp as the day I wrote wards a check for
$180 for it back in 1985.

Too bad we can't buy stuff like that today.  We've bought, and used
up, 2, 25" magnavox's in the meantime.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,