[Coco] Eric at peak at mail.polarcomm.com

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 15:46:44 EST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 13:26, peak at mail.polarcomm.com wrote:
>Maybe that is it bob. thanks.
>I guess automatic mail reply routines put
>peak at mail.polarcomm.com in the address line instead of
>peak at polarcomm.com.
>
>>         p***@polarcomm.com
>>
>>**Not**  p***@mail.polarcomm.com
>>
>>Just trying to clear up the apparent confusion.
>>
>>Happy New Year all, btw. Life's been kicking me around
>>a bit lately, so I'm keeping to myself a bit more than
>>usual.
>>
>>Peace,
>>Bob

thats because the incoming message here, says
 From: peak at mail.polarcomm.com

I've tried to reply to several of your messages and been bounced
everytime.  I came to the conclusion that you had it munged, and if
that was your choice, so be it.  I wasn't going to bother again until
your messages had a proper From: line composition.  I do not know
what email agent you are using, but if *you* didn't put that extra
"mail." in there, then its broken and you should use something else.

I use kmail here, obviously a linux program, and quite decent IMO.

If thats your own mail server, then settng up an alias so that
miss-addressed incoming mail would be routed correctly should be
trivial.  OTOH, you might have to register the mail.polarcomm.com
domain to get it to resolve in the DNS's too.  Ahh, I see that it
does resolve, at least for a ping:

[root at coyote root]# ping mail.polarcomm.com
PING mail.polarcomm.com (66.231.96.10) from 192.168.71.3 : 56(84)
bytes of data.
64 bytes from mail.polarcomm.com (66.231.96.10): icmp_seq=1 ttl=237
time=73.9 ms

Humm,  and then:

[root at coyote root]# ping polarcomm.com
PING polarcomm.com (66.231.96.9) from 192.168.71.3 : 56(84) bytes of
data.
64 bytes from www.polarcomm.com (66.231.96.9): icmp_seq=1 ttl=237
time=74.0 ms

Note the two adjacent addresses...  Looks like the mailer agent to me.

But FYI, I'm replying only to the list.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M