[Coco] DEFT Pascal

tim lindner tlindner at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 4 13:20:47 EST 2004

Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Kenneth Schunk wrote:
>
> > Odd that the disk images don't work. I was using them on the Mac
> > emulator, but that doesn't run on my new G4 iBook, and I haven't had
> > time to setup the MESS emulator on it. I've got an older PC downstairs
> > that I know has working disk images on it - I'll pack those up and send
> > them on.
> >
> > I'd bet that the extra bytes are a resource fork that the Mac added, and
> > that the Mac happily ignores..
> >
> > Ken
> >
> In case this helps at determining the problem, the $80 byte headers on
> the disks contain the title of the disk and QDISKCoCo. That means there
> is no error but a deliberate header added by some program.

I've poored over the file on Kenneth's site. It is not in AppleSingle or
MacBinary format. It seems to be in the old Stuffit Expander format for
ZIP files.

A few years ago, Aladdin (the makers of Stuffit) added ZIP compresion to
their software. But ZIP doesn't support dual forked files, nor the extra
information sotred in the Mac's HFS directory entry.

So Aladdin created a file format to encode all this information into a
single stream of data.

Using Stuffit Expander I unzipped the file into a proper Mac HFS dual
fork file. It is kind of sad Aladdin choose to create another format,
but what can you do? AppleSingle would have been a much better choice.
It was standardized by Apple a long time ago for their A/UX product.

Anyway, after unzipping the file on Kenneth's site it contains a 128
byte header (like Robert said), then 161,280 bytes of data fork, then
384 bytes of resource fork. It is only the 161,280 bytes in the middle
that are important to eveyone on this list.

--
tim lindner
tlindner at ix.netcom.com                                            Bright