[Coco] Re: Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 1 12:37:01 EST 2004

Alex

I am not trying to be negative or the like. I just find it very hard to believe that on IC
design, the designer just puts extra circuitry on for the heck of it. I do know a little
about the process to make ICs. I can tell you a product manager will catch all heck
if a wafer lot of 20 to 30 wafers bombs because the designer sticks some extra
circuits in "just " to take up space. There was an intent and for some unknown
reason, Hitiachi would not official recognize the new features. All we can do at best
now is specualte as to why!

It is very much possible that the HD63x09 series is CMOS though I more likely
believe HCMOS than CMOS. HCMOS takes advantage of higher density and thus
better speed improvements.Hitachi using microcode instead of discrete state
machines does offer a savings in the die real estate. It also allows for more registers
and instruction more easily. To add a new instruction you just expand the
microprogram and rom. Registers are added by just making the microcode wider.

I still hold to my belief that Hitachi was intending to "one up" Motorola but at some
point decided not to. Maybe because after further review they would loose to much
to do so. Thus the part was released and the interanls was kept secret. What I have
not been able to determine is when did the HD63x09 series start to appear? That
more than likely will help in determining if Hitachi used CMOS or HCMOS process.

One other interesting tidbit. In the 1983 Databook Motorola pre announced an
HCMOS version of the 68x09E. By then Hitachi was already making the 6301/3
which was Hitachi's version in CMOS or HCMOS and were also producing the
HD68x09 series probably in HMOS which is High density NMOS, A cousin to
CMOS. I do know that corporations will cross license technology. It is a way of
buying technology not with cash but with technology. It allows one to quickly get into
a market without the long time frame of developeing technology and processes on
your own. Kind of jumping over growing pains. That is Motorola licensed the
instructions of several of its processors in exchange maybe for some technology?
Maybe HCMOS? The HD63x09 was to be a product to introduce after the
technology swap cease date was mutually agreed on. Then Hitachi would release
the info and a improved version of the 6809. Along came another deal and they had
to put a lid on it. By 1990 the 8 bit market for home PCs was dead and buried.
Except for games and embeded use the 8 bit processors were relagated to history.
The HC05 and HC11 were becoming favorites in the hobby and industrrial embeded
market.

james