[Coco] Thanks for the Princeton Bit.Listserv.CoCo Mail List. DRAFT

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sat Jan 31 23:24:59 EST 2004

DRAFT - DRAFT - DRAFT

Any comments, changes, replacement text.

E-Mail direct to me can be promoted to HTML to allow for different colors
and fonts if you wish.:)

Hello.

Thanks to you and all those who started the Princeton "Bit.Listserv.CoCo"
Mail List and have kept it going for 15 years.

We moved the list elsewhere due to some (Most) people not being able to
accept the huge amount of SPAM that we saw in our mailboxes coming from the
list.

We appear to be quite happy in our new location and just about every other
day someone new posts a message who has not posted before. There are many
projects underway and plenty of on topic discussions about our beloved CoCo.
The lack of SPAM and the knowledge that our e-mail addresses cannot be
collected has really enhanced the group. We are now approaching the level of
members subscribed early in 1993 which was almost 300.

------------------------------------- Insert new web page link
here ---------

A thank you message will soon be going to Princeton thanking them for all
the many years that they hosted the CoCo list and a suggestion that it be
closed.

The listserver at Princeton is collecting, archiving and sending out a
steady stream of SPAM with no CoCo messages.

We should have contacted you when the SPAM flood started, but we did not.
Taking no steps to stop it caused our departure. I now have found the
Listserver Owner commands that if they had been done, the SPAM would have
been reduced and perhaps even stopped.

As we made the mistake of not contacting you, some bad vibes may be heading
your way from Princeton. They may be unhappy that you as list owner did not
know what was going on and take steps to stop the SPAM. I and many others
were discarding the SPAM from B.L.CoCo using the same flags in the header
that the listserver could have been told to recognize and automatically
discard the SPAM.

Some of us would like to collect all the files, message logs and other files
related to the CoCo list. We have collected all the public available files
which go back only to 1998 thus the first ten years of the CoCo may be lost.
If you know where some more files are, please tell us.

Thanks again for your support for all the years. The CoCo list members past,
present and future all thank you very much.

Stephen H. Fischer <sfischer1 at mindspring.com>