[Coco] Structure note

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Fri Jan 2 09:40:39 EST 2004

This is a message that I wrote to Boisy on the structure and release
processing here at Cloud-9. It might help others to understand the scripts
that build the distributions and how to setup their systems for EASY future
releases of the NitrOS-9 project.

Original message starts here.........

As we have discussed at great lengths on the phone. The structure of the
distribution is very good. To add the version as a directory name this is
how I do it here at C-9 North.

Setup:

/d0 = 40T DSDD 5.25"
/h0 = drive to image with what ever release, 63 or 6809.
/h5 = ZIP 100 (Has images of all distributions, extra cmds directory and
word processor in it)
/d2 = 80T DSDD 3.5"

I take the .dsk images from the distribution of the NitrOS9.org site. Dsave
them into the following path on my ZIP disk. Example is for 6309 version
and release VER030200.

cd /d0
dsave -s32 /h5/CLOUD9/VER030200/6309L2 ! shell

This copies the floppy .dsk made from my Win'95 box to my ZIP archive disk
for custom distributions. After both disks are copied with the above
commands. I then do the following which adds REV level to the distribution
in the directory structure. THIS IS SO EASY AND wonderful!

cd /h5/CLOUD9/VER030200/6309L2    'this puts me at the root of the versions
directory I do this just as a starting reference in this example.

cd nitros9 'at this point the next level in the structure is 6309L2
directory. All I have to do is RENAME the 6309L2 directory to VER030200 and
boom it is done! I then can do the following cmd:

cd ...  'Takes me back to the root of the current distribution
format /h0  'answer all the ?? as it asks
dsave -s32 /h0 ! shell  'moves the distribution to the hard drive that I'm
configuring

What 10 minutes or so for it to complete then go in and edit the bootlists
and copy over my mb_superscsi_floppy_d0, mb_superscsi_hard_dd and mb_hdb_dd
files and build and test. I can do this whole process in under a 1/2 hour!
My time is under 5 minutes because I don't just sit there and wait for it
to complete.

Hopefully this will help others as well as an update doc for future revs...
I do this everyday and isn't as easy for others. Actually if you don't do
it for awhile I have to think about it. But the last year, C-9 customers
have kept me making the disks and system....... :)

The power of the system is GREAT. I do notice a considerable speedup when
going to 6309 release of your distribution. Before you could never really
compare them side by side. Now with your commonality between the releases,
it is apples to apples.....6309 version is FAST! I can go to 6809 to 6309
boots on my hard drive with HDB-DOS in under 10 seconds. That is booting
BOTH OSes, booting one....then RESET, boot to the other! Sweet!!

One happy customer....... :)

Mark
Cloud-9