[Long] [OT] That Big Shadow Over Your Shoulder, Part 2, was Re: [Coco] Re: OS Vulnerabilities

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Feb 29 12:12:34 EST 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 10:16 am, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> I think we really disagree about what constitutes the most important
> aspect of an OS. Mac taught us it was the GUI. That they seamlessly
> moved from their own to Unix expresses that. I wouldn't be surprised
> if Windows does the same. Software is made effective by the
> interface, and so that makes Alex correct -- these are all
> technically modern operating systems.

I have yet to see a smooth transition from one release of Windows to
another via upgrade in-place (even something as theoretically trivial
as Windows 3.1 to Windows for Workgroups 3.11).  It's usually easier to
get a new machine and sneakernet the files to it.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net    http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

"And I don't like the idea of going _anywhere_ near the gods.  We're
like toys to them, you know."  _And they don't realise how easily the
arms and legs come off_, he added to himself.
                                Terry Pratchet, _The Last Hero_