[Coco] OS supported features - (Was: OS Vulnerabilities)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Feb 29 09:50:55 EST 2004

Neil Morrison wrote:

> IMO, Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS is much more of a standard. A very
> large number of programs can handle that format, and there was once a
> Unix version. Even MS Word can read/write it.

Since there still is an OpenVMS version of Word Perfect, It would follow
that it is still probably also available for many UNIX distributions.

Since my original post, I have found:

Spreadsheet:

   Xspread 2.1 for OpenVMS which claims to support LOTUS files.

Audio:

   JAZZ 2.6b - Music editor/MIDI Sequencer

   LAME 3.93 - Produce MP3 files.

   MPEG123 0.59s - MPG Player.

   Mpeg3play - MPG player

   Rosegarden 2.1 - Music editor / MIDI Sequencer.

   SND 2.1 - Sound editor, "modeled loosely Emacs"

   Timidy++ 2.11.1 Sound editor/Midi Sequencer

   Xforge 0.2.2 - Graphical wave editor, intended to be similar to
                  the PC/Windows "Sound Forge" in capabilities.

There are a few packages that I left out.  It does indicate that there
is quite a bit of interest in music composition by OpenVMS users that
are willing to port and maintain programs.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only