[Coco] Re: OS Vulnerabilities

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sat Feb 28 21:33:32 EST 2004

John E. Malmberg wrote:

> OpenVMS can do real time programming, but I would tend to use dedicated
> embedded processors or a PLC for that these days, and then feed what
> results are needed back up the chain.
>
> At one job I had, the PLCs used the 6809 processor and ran OS-9.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

John,

That is sort of what the Fuji SMT line used to do, You would send SBin
code down one serial line to program it  and the other serial line would
stream operational data back to the OS-9 box.  Based upon the data one
could program events.  such as halt all machines or just those upstream
and leave those down stream running.  Also one could get realtime stats.
  Fuji decided to move to first Unix then to Windows, this was one of
many fuctionalities that was lost.  Of course if you still needed that
functionality you can still buy the VME based OS-9 Box in addition to
your Windows line programmer.  Oh if you do this, it is recommended to
have your VME OS-9 box do the actual converting programs to SBIN code
and send it to....The Windows-box is useful to pull data off your NT
server.  I really wish that the Samba Client on RTSI wouldn't crash the
system, so I too could pull data off the NT box and also the Fuji
Software didn't like NFS mounted drives either.

~David Hazelton