[Coco] Re: OS Vulnerabilities (Was: Paypal )

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 12:18:36 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/28/04 8:23:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bathory at maltedmedia.com writes:

> There have been Unix and Mac exploits, but these get little publicity
>  (although a recent Linux exploit was severe; Linux runs our cable modem
>  system in our town, and my stepson -- the system designer -- was doing some
>  fast patching).

Well, it's about time -- time to put an end to the bragging about how
invulnerable Linux and Mac are.
Unix/Linux has the advantage of decades of evolving protections in college
environments, where hackers thrive.  By now such trivial holes as buffer
overruns have been patched up (we hope).

A disadvantage of Linux is the open source code -- a hacker can look in there
for holes.  Though I suspect the hackerz community has good disassemblies of
Windows versions, though not all of it (wouldn't fit in a barn).

>  The difference is desirability. Why waste your time creating a virus for an
>  OS few people actually use or, more importantly, will get little publicity?

Yep, I still figure that if Macs ever stage a real comeback or Linux catches
on (and lots of foreign governments are getting on board, meaning hackerz can
go for real gain instead of just hobbyist glory), there will be plenty of
hacks.

>  I think that anybody with tech smarts, tools and experience who can't
>  exploit an OS isn't really trying. Either that or it's not a true,
>  multi-purpose OS.

Especially with the source code in front of them.
--Mike K.