[Coco] Re: Paypal (Was: Me, too, also, ...)

James Ross jr at webross.com
Fri Feb 27 01:35:17 EST 2004

Neil Morrison wrote:

>I use it too, but I am as cautious as I can be.

I have not had a bad experience with PayPal yet and have used it quite
a bit.  I use my Credit Card and not the instant bank transfer.  It is
the instant transfer I worry about.  If someone were successful in
using it fraudulently, the loss would be mine until proven to be fraud
and I got my money back.  Using a Credit Card, the loss is not mine
until I pay that charge.

I don't worry much about PayPal (the company) committing fraud. I
would hope they are big enough now to have audit trails that keep
their employees honest.

Using 128 bit encryption, I feel safe enough against network sniffers.

But I do worry about a Trojan Horse that can capture keystrokes and
send my password to someone.  IMO, that is the major risk. With any OS
available today, any program you install has the possibility of having
such a Trojan.  And that is the problem.  All OS's are inherently
insecure because most programs / drivers can do what they want
unchecked.

JR