[Coco] Alternate e-mail available (was: Bounces)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Feb 20 08:44:11 EST 2004

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> The following are bouncing. Some of your servers have tightened mail
> receipt, and you'll have to let in the mailman lists. I can't help with
> this. The first 3 are refusals, the next two are supposedly gone, the last
> is over quota. If you're reading via another source (such as gmane), please
> check your mail settings. I've sent you messages directly, but I'm not sure
> it will help.
>
> tony podraza / juno
> bill lung / juno
> boisy pitre / boisypitre
> dean coffey / atariland
> momo / atariland
> h2f750 / yahoo

Those of you that need an alternate e-mail that does not filter by
content (except for the word "v-i-a...") can telnet to encompasserve.org
and sign up for a free account if you agree to the terms of use at
http://encompasserve.org.  The service was formerly known as decusserve.

Spam blocking on Encompasserve is done by a set of DNSbls that track
open relays, open proxies and use the MAPS DUL list.  The only
aggressive spam block that is used is the bl.spamcop.net list, and it is
extremely unlikely that this coco list would end up on it.

It is not spam free, but it is spam reduced.

The spam blocking is system wide, and closely monitored to make sure
that it is not causing valid mail to be rejected.  Spam is rejected, not
bounced.

Address spoofing viruses are diverted to the postmaster when detected,
you will not see them.  Other viruses will have the virus replaced with
a text message.

Encompasserve offers shell accounts, www space, SSL IMAP, and SMTP
access, and you can either use your present e-mail program to send and
receive e-mail from it (with any e-mail address you own), or you can use
the text based clients from telnet.

Encompasserve can also forward your mail to a different address
automatically.  You can also set up server based scripting on the
handling of your mail.

So you could set up an encompassesrve account to receive your COCO mail,
yet post with your preferred posting address.

To do that you sign both e-mail addresses to the mailing list, and set
your prefered posting address to "nomail".

news server access is also available from shell accounts.

Encompasserve is a computer hobbyist operation run by professionals.  It
is not in a fault tolerant configuration, on an imortal power supply, so
there will be occasional outages.

It is a free service but there is the possibilty that the hat may need
to be passed around to cover operating expenses as it is currently
operating off of a large donation that is running down.

In addition to the above, Encompasserve has internal conferences on
mainly on computer oriented topics.  Some of them are readable on a web
based interface.

I have used the encompasserve.org server as my primary incoming mail
server now for over 3 years.  I have noticed 3 unscheduled downtimes due
to hardware service and a power outage lasting longer than the UPS battery.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
malmberg(at)encompasserve.org
Personal Opinion Only