[Coco] Adventure Survivors

Bob Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 04:41:29 EST 2004

> > > One of the trickier ones is the software that combined
programming
> > > and audio, such as the Disney stuff, that relied on the tape
> > > recorder and AUDIO ON command.
> >
> > Yep.  My son and I had the "20K Leagues Under the Sea" tape.  This
> > made good use of some obscure Coco features, likethe ability to
> > route incoming cassette audio to the TV speaker [snip...]
>
> Nothing obscure about it.  There was the AUDIO command in BASIC, and
> as I recall a documented (by Radio Shack) call to the ROM function.

Another not-so-obvious little trick. When using an emulator, you can
mount *any* .WAV file as a cassette and listen to it by issuing
AUDIOON:MOTORON. Well, I thought it was cool anyway. I don't remember
which emulator I was using, but it seems like any should work.

I am planning to *attempt* to preserve my "mixed-mode" Disney cassettes
to CD as one *huge* wav file each, so an emulator should handle it
exactly like a real CoCo. Some restoration work will be required as I
think all of them give I/O errors. I think these are important (and
very entertaining, btw) works that deserve preservation.

Bob