[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Misuse of OSK floppy i/o

David dbree at duo-county.com
Wed Feb 18 18:30:09 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:31:04AM -0800, Neil Morrison wrote:

> "Martin Gregorie" <martin at see.sig.for.address> wrote in message
> news:lbv630tal8pa0lj05ahbmh8csf037mthmj at 4ax.com...
> > Folks, does anybody know if its possible to make an image file from
> > non-OS-9 floppy by doing something like "copy /d0@ flex_floppy.txt"

I think you'd have to create a device descriptor with the parameters of
the particular disk you are reading.  You probably should give this
descriptor a different name than "d0" say, "f0" or whatever.  That way,
you could simply load this descriptor without it stomping over your
"real" /d0.

WARNING!  It _may_ be dangerous to use "copy".  The manuals recommend
using something like "merge /d0@ >flex_floppy.txt".  Some time ago, I
tried "copy /d0@ file_on_hd" and the process ran for a terribly long
time, with the result that my HD was completely trashed!  I don't know
if this was a coincidence or whether the copy /d0@ did it or not.