[Coco] Interbank Incident

Rogelio Perea os9dude at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:45:51 EST 2004

Donald Cathcart wrote:

> I also enjoyed playing Kronis Rift and Rescue On Fractalus. Man, when that
> purple monster appeared and smashed the window for the first time, I
> literally jumped! Great gaming moments.

You're right about that little "surprise" Fractalus had on the green helmet dudes, I also was a bit unsettled when that happened for the first time, then I would let the bad guys approach and start pounding to quickly zap the shield on... bad boy bad boy... Rescue on Fractalus was/is a great game considering the CoCo 3 OS9 environment it ran on, the story could get a bit boring if played extensively but still it had good staying gaming power.

Did you ever complete Koronis Rift?. In several attempts I made it to the final red ship and it just stood there... no matter what I threw at it from the upgraded arsenal nothing happened, it just kept on firing back to me, my shields were up to snuff though so they withstood the red grounded saucer attacks, but I never figured out what weapon I could have missed in the earlier rounds of Rift. A long time ago there was some reference in Compuserve (or was it Delphi?) about a patch to allow the use to complete the game; never got the patch so I can't confirm it existence/effectiveness.

Both games made OS9L2 shine, and it was a GREAT jaw dropper exhibit for my then cocky MSDOS/Intel supporters. They just could not believe the humble CoCo 3 (512k, two drives) could do the game and still have some extra cycles to throw running Deskmate 3 and two or three text terminal windows; they were, of course, fighting they way around TSRs and other fancy wanna-be workarounds on the 286s or even 386s to no avail in order to do their stuff.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-