[Coco] Re: Internet practices

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Feb 16 13:20:14 EST 2004

Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:46 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>> The following ISPs are known to prohibit servers, including mail
>> servers on their residential connections:
>>
>> Adelphia, Charter, Comcast, Earthlink/Mindspring, Rogers, RoadRunner,
>> Verizon, and Videotron.
>
> I have read through the service agreement for RoadRunner repeatedly, and
> there is no mention of any prohibition of servers.

According to the easynet.nl explanation page before their DUL was taken
over by SORBS, RR.COM supplied their dhcp pools voluntarily and manual
to the various spam blocking lists and ISPs for preemptive blocking.

RR.COM also appears to offer more than just residential service.

Of all the major ISP's though, I see the fewest complaints from RR.COM
customers.

Unfortunately others are posting that RR.COM does not seem to act very
quickly on reports where someone's computer is compromised and blasting
out spam with out it's owners knowledge.  That complaint is also common
about every other broadband ISP.

And that is important, because 1 open proxy on your network segment can
severely slow down your web access, if it does not cause you to lose
internet access completely.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only