[Coco] world of 68' micros on disk/web?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Feb 14 18:20:20 EST 2004

Better response than I'd thought I'd get! I just sent John Riddle a
file, and I've looked at a few of them here. Fonts are not embedded,
pics are in most. I ran across a couple that are missing a few pics,
don't know how that happened -- I probably scanned and inserted them at
the print shop since I didn't have a scanner or laser printer at the
time I started 268m' (The World Of = TWO = 2; 68 m'[icros]). So those
are just lost forever except in hard copy (which Tony Podraza should
have -- I think I sent him all the master hard copies... I think...). I
guess the best way to handle that is to just put an "INSERT PHOTO HERE"
note in the blank space so everyone will know something was supposed to
be there, unless someone gets/has a hard copy to scan or can find
similar pics. I have no problem with someone editing these as needed to
come out nice. The first issue is missing pics of the CoCo3 I put in a
Kaypro II luggable case. If someone finds a pic of a Kaypro to put on
the cover just use it. Won't be exactly as originally published, but
would be "close enough" considering the files are 10 years old. So some
imagination and creativeness needs to be applied.

Fonts aren't a big issue. All it means is someone will have to take a
few minutes to peruse each file and do some minor editing (mainly change
fonts around) to get the pages right before making a PDF file. Took me
all of 15 minutes to do a quick page check and find the problems in one,
then 10-15 minutes to correct them. Main problem area was that some
fonts need to be monospace and sized to fit charts or listings and the
font replacement wasn't monospace. I used standard fonts without any
fancy ones for the originals, but names change so that there will be
some that won't match. PageMaker does a good job of matching most, and
you can change to the closest most of the time as PM converts the file.
Most are obvious (like "Tms Rmn" = Times New Roman). If one is listed
with a CPI number, use any monospace font (I usually used Courier New).

I think the best way for me to handle this is to send Dennis a CD-ROM
with all the files on it, then he can load on his ftp site for people to
work on them. That way the job can be spread out. Some of the files are
zipped, some not. I'm burning them as they are now on a CD-ROM. I'll
burn "Tandy's Little Wonder" on there as well as the OS-9 and OS-K
"Quick Reference Guides".

Sound like a good plan?

--
Frank Swygert -- Gulfport, MS
Publisher, "American Independent Magazine" (AIM)