[Coco] Any problem with connecting 2 floppies to one power supply?

peak at mail.polarcomm.com peak at mail.polarcomm.com
Sat Feb 7 16:25:16 EST 2004

John
I did that a long time ago and found no problems. I removed
the "full hight" radio shack drive from the case and bolted
in 2 half height drives, then I spliced another power
connector into the power supply. This worked great for me for
many years. I wont guarantee that it will work for you. There
are situations which may cause both drives to use power
simultaneously. The radio shack ribbon cable was not useable
as is because the connector pins were missing etc. To get
around this I just crimped on a connector which had all the
pins. I may have just been lucky that the power supply was
sufficient to drive both of the new half-height drives. The
drives that I used may not have required as much power as the
original. If you dont mind risking a burned out power supply
then go ahead and try it.

It might be better to use the small 3.5 inch floppies because
the surely do not use as much power as the old 5.25 inch full
height drives. There are some adaptor which will allow
bolting these into the place of 5.25" drives.
Good luck
Eric