[Coco] Using that 16/32/64 MB RamDrive.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 23:42:07 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 23:28, Paul T. Barton wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Gee, I don't know. I'll try and dsave
>my biggest partition to /r0 and see.
>
>Formatting is really a pain. For now
>I have 15.9MB and formatting counts
>from $000 to $3DF. iIt takes about
>3-4 minutes. The actual dsave-copy is
>pretty fast.
>
>I wish that I had another version of FORMAT
>just for this ramdrive that wouldn't print
>the sector #'s and "run faster".

Can you set it for logical only, with no verify?  Unless its
verifying, which is where the sectors get counted up, a logical
format should only take a few milliseconds.  It only has to compose
and write 3 sectors to do that, LSN0 for the usual reasons, LSN1 for
the fat, and LSN2 for the first sector of the root directory.
Everything else gets written as needed anyway.

That to me is the main reason I use my own ramdisk "myram", which when
first accessed, finds itself unformatted, so it holds the access for
a few milliseconds while its doing a quick logical, and then lets the
access that triggered it on through.  If you did a "dir /r0", there
was a barely perceptable pause, and then it showed you an empty root
directory.