[Coco] Re: 3.5" Floppy format

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Feb 4 00:17:45 EST 2004

Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> Personally I feel that the "96 tpi" bit (bit 1 of byte $10 of LSN0)

I am missing quite a bit of the context for your post, and an assuming
that this is something specific to the OS-9 operating system.

As you point out, since all 3.5 inch drives are 135 tpi, no double
stepping is ever desired, even if you are using only 35 or 40 tracks.

It is only 5.25 720K or 1.2M drives that should be concerned with double
stepping when reading 360K floppies.

Is this information stored on the actual floppy?  That would make many
backup type operations a problem, as many of them do make complete
images, and that includes copying images from 360K floppies on to the
first 360k of a 3.5 inch drive with out changing any data.

The device driver is the only place that I can see needing to know this
information.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only