[Coco] Re: Bellingham User Group Stuff

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 3 22:26:31 EST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 17:57, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>I suspect that bit 1 of byte $10 in LSN0 is not set. It should be,
>indicating to the driver that the disk is formatted as a 96tpi disk.
>
>Look at offset $10 of LSN0 of the disk image.  It should be $03, not
>$02.
>
>Boisy

That would depend on whether he wrote them to a 5.25", or to a 3.5"
diskette.  The 3.5 was 135 tpi from the gitgo, so that bit should not
be set for a 3.5" formatted disk as there is never a chance of a tpi
miss-match there.

But since the 5.25" disk went through at least 2 commonly used
trackspacings, setting that bit was a handy way to tell the driver to
double-step a 96 tpi drive if it found itself reading a 48 tpi disk.
Such a situation should result in the disk being write protected, but
that was never written into cc(3)disk that I'm aware of, so the
chance of trashing the disk with an inadvertant write is 100%.  The
real problem being that the narrower heads in a 96 tpi drive do not
erase the wider 48 tpi track well enough to be read by a wider 48 tpi
head, often failing even in the same drive that did the errant write
due to minor erros in head positioning, both from friction in the
head carriage, and from play in the clamping rossette.

That write protection is something that really should be incorporated
in the next generation of cc3disk.