[Coco] Re: Thanks for the Princeton Bit.Listserv.CoCo Mail

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 3 15:25:33 EST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:25, John E. Malmberg wrote:
[...]
>According to the Princeton requirements, that list owner must be
> faculty or staff of Princeton.edu.  They do not host mailing lists
> for anyone else. They have a public web site with information, but
> I do not have the URL handy.
>
>So unless they make an exception to their policies, you must find
> someone inside of Princeton to be a sponser.
>
>Otherwise your actions if they change anything at all, it will
> result in the listserv that is hosted by Princeton being shutdown.
> And depending on the charter for the newsgroup bit.listserv.coco,
> that could result in it being removed along with it.
>
>I think you need to do some more research before you take any
> action.
>
>-John
>wb8tyw at qsl.net
>Personal Opinion Only

I'm inclined to agree with John on this point.  Is there not some
query that could be sent to the server that would result in the
listowner being divulged?

In other words, do as much detective work as can be done without
involving TPTB.

Getting it removed would no doubt result in further fragmentaion of
the group and I see no good reason to pursue such an action.  OT1H,
it may cause a few to dual subscribe both to here, and to the yahoo
group.  OTOH, those that don't are going to be left in their own
little shrinking world.  Neither possibility is palatable to me.

Not so silly Q's:  Is anyone doing an autofwd to yahoo from here?

Is that a desireable thing to do?

I'd think so myself.  It obviously isn't being done from yahoo to
here, and I've no idea if this is being fwded to yahoo, but from the
lack of response I'd have to say no.  Many of us DO have mail agents
capable of doing that, so I'm surprised its not happened.  My present
kmail 1.6.0 could do that I believe, from the kde-3.1.95 install,
with kde-3.2 being fetched for building right now.  Humm, at an
average speed of 10k/sec on an 85k circuit.  The whole linux world
must be overheating the servers :)

Are any of this group dual subscribed?

How much trouble is it to subscribe to yahoo?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)