Purple plague? Was:Re: [Coco] Any problem with connecting 2 floppies to one power supply?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 01:50:28 EST 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 00:10, jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:00:33 -0500
>
>  Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>That said, I did it for several years in my grass valley
>>e-disk
>>simulation running on os9, but its duty cycle was quite
>>low.  Never
>>had a problem with it, ever, other than dying wd-1773's
>>in the disk
>>controllers, it used up 3 of them in 13 years.  I think
>>the purple
>>plague ate them, a well known PMOS chip failure
>>mechanism.
>>
>>--
>>Cheers, Gene
>
>Gene:
>
>Can you elaborate on the purple plague, and does anyone
>know if the wd-1773's are still available?

Not a lot Jim.  Its a chemical thing thats exacerbated by heat
somewhat, but mostly time & moisture infiltration thru the epoxy b
related.  Even the ceramic packs had problems because their really
not any more hermetic than the epoxy b is.  When the tops were
removed from failed chips and a microscope applied to see what may
have failed, it appeared there was some sort of a possibly corrosion
related deposit that was attacking both the bondout pads and the
actual base junctions of the transistors, and it was purple colored,
hence the moniker.  Eventually the processes got changed over to cmos
or fully bipolar and that particular failure mechanism went away.  As
to the availability of wd-1773's, I've no idea.  I think if I needed
a few, the first place I'd call would be graveyard electronics, who
gambles and buys up the remaining stocks of chips from the makers
after the end of life period has passed.  Even they may take a few
tubes to the landfill eventually if theres not enough motion to pay
to keep the shelves dusted.  I have very serious doubts that
allied/hamilton/marshal/newark or any of the other mainline
distributors would have any.  They were EOL'd by WD about 18-20 years
ago now.

When atmel EOL'd the 27c4000, the worlds remaining stocks were bought
up quite rapidly, like in just a couple of weeks, which is one of the
reasons amigados 3.9 comes on a cd, and you have to overlay the old
chips with dram using the memory manager if the machine had one and
load the new image.  Having to do that was both a help and a
hindrance, the hindrance because it ate precious dram, and help
because the dram was 4x faster than the original eproms which had the
same, equally oddball footprint on the motherboards.  Damned Commode
Door anyway!  I begged atmel to make another 10,000 at least, but
they simply weren't interested.  It wasn't that great a chip anyway,
tending to be forgetfull because the recommended programmer sequence
left it underburnt, but it was the only game in town for that job.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)