[Coco] Any problem with connecting 2 floppies to one power supply?

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Feb 2 00:30:52 EST 2004

On Feb 1, 2004, at 6:10 PM, John Guin wrote:

> No, it's not an RS drive.  Sorry I wasn't more specific.
>
> This is a drive I got fom Owlware a long time ago.  It's a Mitsumi
> drive
> with a no name power supply and case.  The other drive I want to
> conect is a
> TEAC FD-55.
>
> I also have a Mitsubishi 5 1/4" drive, but it spins constantly when
> power is
> supplied to it.  Either it's jumpered wrong (I don't ahve the docs for
> it),
> it needs 3.3v instead of the 5/12v PS I have, or it's just plain
> broken.
> Does anyone else have any experience with getting 5.25" drives working
> outside of a Wintel box?

I have never heard of a floppy drive for a PC compatible which uses
3.3v power.  It would be problematic as the power connectors for drives
in these machines usually supply the same +5/+12 that the power
supplies for CoCo drives supply, so i very seriously doubt that the
power is an issue.  My first guess from the description of your problem
is that the drive cable is inverted.  Try plugging it in the other way
around.  The drive should be jumpered exactly the same way as for a PC
compatible with the exception of the drive select jumper which should
be assigned for the drive number you will be using the drive as.  The
big difference is that PC drive controllers only support two drives and
use a special cable with a twist for drive selection.