[Coco] Magnavox monitor

Marty Goodman martygoodman at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 29 19:06:17 EST 2004

Hi there, Boisy!

You PROBABLY are well acquainted with this, and it PROBABLY isn't the
problem with the monitor you have, but...

OLD Magnavox moniotor (8CM series) tended to have cold solder joints on
their boards, especially those connecting the flyback transformer to the
circuit board.  If you meticulously solder-reflowed the contacts for the
flyback (and perahaps other large parts connected with the high voltage and
medium voltage circuits) it often would fix problems with those monitors
characterized by sudden onset of no picture.

It's pretty quick and easy to reflow those contacts, so it may be worth a
try.

Pity it's so hard to ship a monitor... I've a spare Sony KV1311CR that I
would like to get rid of!

But your description of your problem... with the high pitched squeal...
suggests you MAY have a dead component.  Perhpas a horizontal output
transistor, and/or something driving it.

Sadly, I have no tech data on the 1CM series.  I do have a service manual
for the 8CM series, tho.

---marty