[Coco] Some CoCo ideas to ponder...

Bob Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 06:33:47 EST 2004

Okay, I lost track of the 512 byte sector thread when my inbox hit 300
(unread). Seems the concensus was that the CoCo should be able to
handle this. Would it be possible to make a patch for Basic to switch
between 256 or 512 byte sectors, possibly by a switch hidden in the
directory? Is that a catch-22? I'm thinking that lowering the number of
granules by half would allow smaller GAT and thus easier access to 80
track drives under Basic. (No need to relocate the table...?)

Next question... I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder if the CoCo can
play MP3s. Specifically (I want to be realistic here) could it play a
32Kbps encoded mono MP3 and sound about as good as my cell phone
playing the same MP3 (as a ringer)? Would there be any possibility of
the MP3 size not being limited to RAM size? Granted, hard disk would be
preferred over floppy for this, and so in RSDOS disk size is the
limiting factor... could the MP3 span a few HD drives?

cheers,
Bob