[Coco] Portal-9 disassembler

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 27 17:38:58 EST 2004

Sounds great, Roger! So far the only program I know of for the Coco that
would come close is "Source3" by Bill Vergona, an interactive
disassembler. This program only knows RSBasic 6809 code and is very
quirky if the binary loads in lower RAM system space.

Are you going to attempt OS-9 code, higher level languages, or straight
ml 6(3/8)09? I'd suggest sticking to straight ml, but if patterns could
easily be found that suggest higher level programming, report it. For
example, if your program found many SWI2, FCB combinations, OS-9 could
be suggested as the creating system.

Have you given any thought to game/programs on copy protected disks?
That is a whole other major problem in preserving Coco programs and
outside the current scope of Portal-9. At the very least, Portal-9
should state as a disclaimer that many programs can not be reproduced
because parts of the code will be unseen on the source disks without
special programs.

What would your disassembler do if the binary loads multiple times to
the same address but a different MMU block? That would be a major
problem for any disassembler as code would be constantly overwritten or
might even switch out the disassembler.