[Coco] [Color Computer] Complete Commodore 64 home computer on a single chip

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Dec 22 14:20:19 EST 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 12:36 PM, James C. Hrubik, Sr. wrote:

> But would all the old CoCo BASIC programming still work, then?  Are
> you talking about ROMming something like BASIC09 ( re-engineered ala
> Nitros9), but with a syntax compatible with the old CoCo BASIC?
>
> Boisy already ROMmed OS9 for one of his projects.  Boisy -- how hard
> would it be to pack Nitros9 on a ROM chip at this point?

James,

The approach I would take would be to put the NitrOS-9 booter in ROM
and boot to a FLASH device as a hard drive (ala SuperDrivers).  From
there, any OS-9 game would certainly be easily run.  Depending on the
RS-DOS game, they might well run too, if they don't use ROM calls that
would normally be found in Microsoft's ROM.

All in all, it would be fairly simple to implement a Microsoft-free
"CoCo in a stick".

Boisy