[Coco] [Color Computer] Complete Commodore 64 home computer on a single chip

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Dec 22 13:38:51 EST 2004

Boisy

With say about $250,000, one can put a complete Coco 3 hardware in one ASIC.
That wil get the design done and the first 40 ICs at a cost of about $5000 per chip.

That will get you 40 parts in 0.18 micron mixed mode 1.8V to 3.3V CMOS.
Production runs are far cheaper and could bring the die cost down into the $10 to
$15 range. Packaging adds about $0.05 per pin.

A cheaper initial cost and low volume way is to do the ASIC in FPGA and then you
are looking at about $600 to $1000 per chip. The only thing that would not go into
the FPGA would be the 2 MB of RAM.

Actual  production runs would yield die costs more in the $10 to $25 range. The you
can bond the die directly to a PCB  and have a Coco 3 on a PCB about 1.5 inch
square board.

james