[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Multi-pak

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 16 00:03:22 EST 2004

glenvdb wrote:

> Hello, and good day all.
> The last book I have yet to aquire is the one I need.
> Does anybody know of where I can Download a PDF file of the Multi-pak
> Interface.

I would be surprised if http://www.google.com could not produce a hit
for one.

> Specificly, I just need a part number of the "Switch". I
> bought a used Multi-pak of ebay, and the switch is smashed in, no
> apparent damage elsware on the board. It should be a common 4
> position switch, But my parts dealer is looking for a part number.

The switch is just used to set the initial setting of a register at
power up of the Multi-PAK.

For many applications, jumpering the switch to the "D" or slot 4 setting
will be all that is needed.

Multi-paks show up on e-bay all the time now.  It may be faster and
possibly cheaper to just buy another than hunting for a switch.  The
last one I bought was packed in non-conductive Styrofoam, and the
electronics were burned out apparently as a result.

I have now learned that if I win a bid on e-bay for computer equipment,
that I need to give the buyer explicit instructions on how to ship it.

As most of the shippers are not computer or electronic literate, I
usually politely advise wrapping exposed electronic plug connections in
aluminum foil, and advise that all components be unplugged and wrapped
separately.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only