[Coco] Re: Re: make and friends was Re: CCASM for Linux

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Dec 15 20:06:32 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:47:58PM -0500, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> While I'd love a utility that checks and verifies my existing Makefile for
> all the required dependencies, I think anyone who needs to generate a Makefile
> *after* designing his project and writing the C files, is engaging in sloppy
> practice.

Check most decent-sized projects, including the Linux kernel.
Most of them have some form of automatic dependency generation.
This is far too easy to get wrong if handled manually, and too easy
to automate to not do so.  You may want to checkout "gcc -M".

On the other hand, the main body of the Makefile(s) for most projects
should merit some careful consideration...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com