[Coco] Re: make and friends was Re: CCASM for Linux

Rodney V Hamilton Rodney_Hamilton at GBRonline.com
Tue Dec 14 19:15:07 EST 2004

In article <d8.1b73d0a7.2eefdc71 at aol.com>,
KnudsenMJ at aol.com said...
[snip]
>I have to admit, though, for non-programming purposes, m4 is a  little
>more friendly.  If nothing else, it doesn't insert #line lines  into
>its output.
>

>Well, m4 is "after my time."   Wasn't till after I left Bell Labs  that I
>found all those C++ features had been backhauled into "ANSI" C.   --Mike K.

Actually, Mike, if you wrote any makefiles, you *did* use m4.
The AT&T UNIX make used m4 as its macro processor, so for anyone who
ever wondered why the make syntax looked so strange, now you know.

--Rodney