[Coco] CCASM for Linux

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 22:24:23 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/11/04 8:16:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mannslists at invigorated.org writes:

> It  is worse than that, it only runs under x86 Linux so it looks like
>  running CCASM under Linux on several of my systems is out of the
>  question.

That also includes my Debian Linux/PPC machine... Which  happens to be
the machine I'm always on! :)

Hmmm.... I wonder how many Linux users out there are using non-Intel/AMD
(x86) machines?  I supply my UltiMusE music composing program in binary
executable form for Linux on x86, but of course the code wouldn't run on other  CPUs.

AFAIK, the only solution is to (temporarily) copy the source code files to  a
desired target machine (such as the Mac PPC) and compile them there.   That
means trusting someone else with your source (though often source is  supplied
in the Linux world), or borrowing such a machine.  Either way, you  will
probably have to hack the code to get a good compile.   Big/little-endian issues re
guaranteed to rear up and bite you (I know, a guy  tried porting my UME to
the MacOS, and he fixed up my Motorola big-endian  dependencies).

Maybe GCC can cross-compile to another target CPU?  But I betcha the
resulting binary will not run bug-free the first time it's sent (via email) to  the
use with the PPC or whatever.

All said, though, it does seem worth trying.  --Mike K.