[Coco] GCC for the 6809

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Sat Dec 4 20:41:31 EST 2004

On 2-Dec-04, at 4:25 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Yes, I've actually used sdcc (8051) for a 'real' product.
>
> It has a few limitations/bugs, and I can't say I've even looked 'under
> the hood', but IMHO I think it would be a more suitable candidate for
> the 6809 than gcc. From what I've heard, gcc is really only suited to
> 16-bit and above CPUs.

gcc can be used for 8-bit machines, such as the AVR series of
microcontrollers and the 68hc11 and family. It's also much closer to
ANSI C compliance, and affords compatibility with C++.

> How much work do you think you've put into gcc so far James? And how
> much more until it's 'done'?

A few hours. Mostly just porting the patches to the 3.1.1 version of
gcc. However, the backend that was written is pretty basic, and doesn't
support a lot of useful things, like PIC code or soft-registers (using
the DP). To add that, the easiest route is to port the 68hc11 backend.
However, it's really big and I have no idea where to start.

James