[Coco] Very OT. Looking for copy of Opus, 08-22-04

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 20:59:04 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/30/04 2:13:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, flexser at fiu.edu
writes:

> 'I've gotta disagree with your assessment.  Bloom County was a terrific
>  strip.  I keep waiting for Opus to develop to the point where I like it as
>  much as I did Bloom County, but so far I've been pretty disappointed with
>  it.  Where is the Berke Breathed of old?  I don't understand why he didn't
>  just bring back Bloom County instead of just taking one appealing
>  character from that strip and surrounding him with, well, nobody much.

I agree, Bloom County was better.  And Opus is a bit sick some times.  But
it's good to have a satirical strip in mainstream newspapers at this era in
history.  And it can satirize youth fads as well as politicians.

>  P.S.  In rereading your comment, I see that it could be taken as merely
>  applying to last Sunday's strip, rather than the general quality of Opus.
>  Which did you mean?

I meant the strip as a whole.  Now if he could bring in a few more Bloom
characters.  Bill did make an appearance, but didn't add much, IMHO.  --Mike K.