[Coco] Re: Strange CoCo 2B model

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Wed Aug 25 11:00:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Torsten Dittel wrote:

> Like in  Belgium. At least in the french speaking part of Belgium PC's
> have a french keyboard layout but they never sold a CoCo having so (nor
> one with something different than a RF modulator). However, Belgium has
> PAL, France has the SECAM TV system. Maybe that's a hint. I'm looking
> forward to that machine to learn the difference. For those who want to
> see some preview pictures (made by the seller):
>
> http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/torsten.dittel/CoCo/french_coco3.jpg

I see now! It's not so much a french keyboard as an AZERTY layout! :) an
actual french keyboard has accented characters on it. :) A CoCo in Quebec
would never have had an AZERTY layout, as it's only used in France. If it
were to have a different keyboard layout, it would have been to add
accented characters, but it would have kept the QWERTY layout.

There's actually a standard layout from the Canadian Standards Association
for accented keyboards. It's a PITA when people set a US layout keyboard
to use that layout in software... they put the darn acute accented e
instead of the /? key... <grumble> quite a pain when you're trying to type
in a URL... you have to go to the number pad.

James