[Coco] Re: the XRGB-2+ upscan converter

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Wed Aug 25 06:08:11 EDT 2004

> It has the composite video, RGB, S-video and another input I
> don't recognize right off hand.

I guess this box can handle "Component Video" (YUV, YCbCr, YPbPr) too
(not usefull for the CoCo). It should be able to handle "RGsB" (Sync on
Green) or "RGBS" but no "RGBHV" which is coming out of the CoCo3. I
guess what you did is generate an "S" signal from "H"+"V" signals. It's
even possible that it is able to get the "S" (Sync) signal from the
Composite Video ("C") line so if you connect the Composite Video of the
CoCo and just the RGB lines at the same time it will work too.

Have you noticed any jitter which is counted as a bug of the XRGB-2plus
model? (Looks like the XRGB-2 didn't suffer from that).

I'm still not shure what happens with "smooth" 60Hz animation because of
the deinterlacing. Any experiences? "Smooth" means in that case an
object (e.g. a white sprite on a black background in PMODE4) is moving 1
or 2 pixels horizontally or one scanline vertically 60 times a second
(synchronized to the VSYNC (vertical blank)). I remember some games for
the CoCo2, eg a scrolling "ActiVision" in Pit Fall or some sprites in
Saylor Man (don't know if these will run on the CoCo3. Maybe the
"SockMaster" can provide some smooth animation for the CoCo3 to proove
that).

Regards,
Torsten