[Coco] CoCo RGB video timing and levels

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Aug 24 20:51:20 EDT 2004

Alex

Correct that the GIME reads from ram are based on a 3.579 MHz clock. That would
not be the pixel clock. Instead the pixel clock would need to be 8 times the E-Clock
in high speed mode and 16 times in low speed mode. This makes the pixel clock
14.318MHz. In slow speed the GIME can make two reads from ram. Based on
14.318 MHZ pixel clock and 640 pixel lines the GIME actually has about 912 pixels
per line. That would mean about 144 pixels for sync, 640 pixels for display and 64
pixels for the right and left borders.

I know that the borders are there on the monitor as you can see it in 80 character
text mode. But 64 pixel border is over 10 characters wide border! Maybe it is.

A 14.28 MHz is rather difficult to obtain from a 28.6363 MHz crystal unless you use
a fractional-n divider. Was that technology available then in the 1985/86 time
frame? A fractional-n divider allows clock changes on the fly!

even still, I believe that 14.318 MHz is awfull high for a pixel clock for 640 pixel
display. A value more like 12.56 MHz would be more reasonable. If the service
manual is correct with 280 nS read from ram in the VDU cycle, even a 14.28 Mhz
pixel clock is to fast. The 8th bit is shifted out before the next byte is read. It would
seem that the pixel clock is a bit slower but I am uncertain as how the designer of th
chip derived the clock frequency without a fractinal-n divider.

james