[Coco] Re: Re: again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 23 20:45:37 EDT 2004

James

IN VGA,  the Coco already has the horizontal resolution in place. The
problem is the number of lines per field. One can take the RGB analog
signals and resample them at the higher line frequency and have an
appropriate amount of video ram on board. The hardware would  have to
take the  Coco field and add up to 120 border lines above and below the
display area. In that manner you have 640x200 displayed on a 640x480
monitor.

This is and has been done on many monitors. The one thing that I have
found in reasearching VGA and monitor resolution is that there is no one
standard. One video mode text document shows that there are over 128
different video modes that monitors and video cards use. That does not
include the VESA compliant modes. Going beyond VGA to SVGA,  XVGA
and bey ond is a nightmare.

james