[Coco] CoCo RGB video timing and levels

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 23 13:40:07 EDT 2004

James

In 80 character text mode the CM8 is displaying  480 pixels. Each
horizontal line is 114 characters times 6 pixels or 684 pixels. Take 684
times 15701 and you get a pixel clock of 10.739484 MHz.

In 640 pixel graphics mode I would figure that the pixel clock is closer to
12.56 MHz. That is if the GIME is actually doing 800 pixels total for ech
line. In that case then the access time would be 80nS for the memory .
150nS fast page mode dram will handle that speed barely. Based on the
CM8 specs, at 59.7 Hz field frequency the nominal number of lines per
field will be 263. Maximum would be 276 lines and the lowest would be
251. That is taking the min and max field frequency and dividing it into
the allowable tolererance of the line frequency.

Field frequency and the nu mber of lines in a field will determine the line
frequency. In standard defined VGA with a field frequency of 60 Hz and
525 lines per field requires 31.5 KHz line frequency. Each line requires
800 pixels total for display, sync and border. 800 times 31.5 KHZ results
in a 25.2 MHz pixel clock.

Basic equations:

1) Pixel clock is equal to the line frequency times the # of pixels per line

2) Line frequency is the field frequency times the # of lines per field.

3) Pixel clock establishes how fast the video ram needs to be.

4) Field frequency can be whatever the monitor can handle. This ranges
from about 30 Hz to 125 Hz.

The RGB levels out of the Coco 3 are 0.8 to 2.0 VDC and for the syncs,
they are TTL level. My guess is that they are four voltages of  1.85VDC,
1.55VDC, 1.25VDC and 0.95VDC. If you are  interested, by altering the
three resistors in the base of the drive transistors one could make them
also TTL levels.

james