[Coco] was: CoCo RGB to VGA [...]

Ken Carlin carlin at nauticom.net
Sun Aug 22 18:39:34 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen Huffman" <alsplace at pobox.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] was: CoCo RGB to VGA [...]

> Okay, it has just been suggested to me that we should look into the
> Arcade Monitors, that already run 15Khz.  I thought that was the case
> after seeing many references to hardware that talked about this and
> stuff called "RGB/SCART" (? European and Japan flavors) which seems to
> be some form of RGB-A at 15Khz.
>
> Anyway, as it turns out, the hard core arcade emulator guys actually
> make PC Video Cards that let them send PC output to 15Khz RGB Arcade
> Monitors -- exactly the opposite of what we are doing!
>
> So where do these monitors come from?  Steve said he'd seen them (19")
> in the $100-$200 price range, but he's in California and they have some
> massive stores and computer/arcade shows that I don't stumble into here
> in Iowa.
>
> So, fire up Google and take a look at "Arcade Monitors" and see what
> that might lead you to.  I am still trying to find a source.
>
> Allen

Probably the biggest supplier of arcade parts is Happ Controls
(www.happcontrols.com)  I know they have a couple of monitors that would
meet the requirement, BUT...

These monitors are meant to be directly mounted in an arcade machine.  They
have no moulded plastic case - they are completely open.  I suspect that's
going to be true of a lot of arcade monitors.