[Coco] OS-9 terminology

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 20 18:48:17 EDT 2004

James Dessart wrote:
> I'm a little unclear on this, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions.
> What is the difference between a module and a program on OS-9? Is a
> program just a particular kind of module?
>
> I have the OS-9 manual, and a "Starting with OS-9" book, but neither is
> arranged in a way for me to just look up the definition, from what I've
> seen so far.
>
> James

Not a dumb question at all. In fact, you have the answer!

The name module (in OS-9) derives from "the concept that memory is
modular. This means that each program is considered to be an
individually named object." So, object when in memory are modules and
while on disk are files.

There are several different types of modules in OS-9, program,
subroutine, multi-module, data, system, file manager, device driver,
device descriptor, and user definable.

If you have the documentation that comes with OS-9, read the technical
reference section. If you don't, go to www.nitros9.org and read the
documentation there which is under construction.