[Coco] LCD panel

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Fri Aug 20 14:36:17 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> Without looking at all the details on the spec sheet, it appears to be B&W
> only.
> Pretty basic digital interface.  Would be fun to drive from a parallel port
> chip (6820 type), but might take a while to refresh.

Yeah, it's B&W, whereas the LCDs in the cameras mentioned in the original
article are colour. I ordered one of these B&W screens, though.

> A LOT of extra circuitry would be needed to run a composite TV signal into
> this.
> Hard to argue with the price, though.  Wonderful for someone building his own
> portable controller.  --Mike K.

I'm going to try to use the CoCo's RGB output to drive it. I know I'll
only get B&W, but I can handle that for my needs. I'll probably use an
Atmel processor to generate the right signals.

Which means I'd need to know what to expect from the RGB port. I'm
imagining the dot clock is a standard frequency for NTSC? And what are the
levels of the RGB lines? What voltage should I use as the reference for
the AD converters?

James