[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 20 05:43:02 EDT 2004

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> A Coco can almost be done in one FPGA. Problem is do you want
> to pay over $500 per chip?
>
> Best bet is to do it in two smaller FPGAs. The CPU in a Spartan IIE
> 300K gate part at about $40 and the GIME and other circuits may fit
> in a 50K gate as about $12.

Yeah, but the Nanoboard is here, now and ready for prototyping! :)

Ultimately I want to produce a board that can play classic arcade video
games - which of course are not too dissimilar to classic 8-bit computers
such as the CoCo! Haven't even begun to consider the most cost-effective way
of producing such a board - the technology is moving so fast that there's no
ponit in doing that until we're ready to actually start hardware design.

Until then, the Nanoboard is a perfect platform for getting designs
up-and-running for prototyping purposes! And of course the guts of anything
we do (VHDL) will be portable to the production platform.

BTW do you know if the 6809 opencore is mature enough to run as a CoCo?

Regards,