[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Wed Aug 18 18:01:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

	I don't think trying to get it sharp is the problem. The
problem is that a VGA monitor is to sharp.

	I don't see how buffering a "field" will do any good? Unless
you are playing a game, the display is changing slowly (at least
relative to the screen refresh rate). This degenerates into scan
doubling. Only with a lot more complexity to get it.

	The statement that "scan doubling" makes pixels double
height is nonsense. Keep in mind we are filling the same vertical
space. We are just doing it with twice as many scans (that are half
as thick). The pixels will look different. You will be able to clearly
see that they are made up of two scans. This will probably have
some psychological impact on "how they look".

	I do agree that without special processing the display will
look different from the CrapMaster-8. It would probably be possible
to add some horizontal "fuzz" to more closely simulate the CM-8
(perhaps adding a 1F capacitor to the output lines would match the
CM-8). Adding vertical fuzz would be MUCH more difficult. And
almost certainly not worth the cost. Another possible solution is
to take a piece of plexi-glass and blur it using sandpaper. Put
this on the monitor when using it for coco displays!

	I would gladly accept the vertical blockiness that scan
doubling will cause to get the increased horizontal sharpness.

	I am fairly certain that the coco is NOT interlaced. There
is only 1 field.

					kevin