[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 18 15:17:07 EDT 2004

Mark

I understand where you are coming from. Any attempt to go to a 31 KHz sync
frequency as an add on circuit will require a lot of work.

Scan doubling itself is not difficult. Two approaches come to mind, first is to digitize
the 15KHz analog and store the data in a large FIFO or dual port ram. This  has a
distinct problem in that you ar eemptying the bucket faster than y ou can fill it. The
only real decent  method is to double samle the 15KHz analog signal and store it in
a FIFO or Dual port ram and have the 31KHz scan section take every other byte out
when generating the 31Khz analog signal.

Still any attempt to digitize the analog signal from the Coco then convert it back to
analog will loose some signal quality. This a nice add on feature and gets around a
problem. Still you have 64 bit color on a more modern monitor.

james